Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Things we miss or take for granted from home

Hi friends,
Not much has been going on around here.  School continues to go well for me, and Ron is getting back into the swing of being a student.  We're both spending lots of time reading.
As some of you who have lived with me may know (e.g. Mom, Dad, Megan, Mark E, Katelynn, Heather), I'm quite fussy about the smell of laundry detergent.  I love my Sunlight liquid detergent (as Nelly knows too since she bought me some for a bridal shower present!) and, in my years of doing laundry, have found nothing better.  Last week, I spent a solid 15 minutes in the detergent isle at the grocery store smelling every detergent.  I settled on one that I thought was ok, but, with hindsight, I realize I may have been high on detergent fumes after sniffing for 15 minutes.  Anyways, one thing I take for granted is my Sunlight detergent.  I love that stuff and whatever I bought doesn't compare.  It seems to smell quite strong to me, so next time I'm only going to put 1/2 a capful in.  I think a contributing factor to the smell is the fact that we don't have a dryer, so there's no contraption to "fluff" out some of the strong detergent smell in our laundry.    No one in Holland, that I know of, has a dryer.  Which makes for very "crunchy" towels...I'm not a fan.  So I guess I also take our dryer for granted...quite a lot, in fact.
The other thing I take for granted is microwaves.  Some students here have them, but most houses I've seen don't, including ours.  It makes it a lot more work to heat up a cooled cup of tea or left overs...but we're getting used to it.  Oh, and freezers....no one seems to have one, so we can't buy anything frozen at the grocery store.
We also miss Monday night dinners and home cooking from our parents.  Oh, and Ron has mentioned several times that he misses Saturday morning breakfasts (Dad).
We continue to do a lot of biking and walking (yesterday I went for a run and ended up in Belgium, but made my way back!) and I'm getting better at that pesky hill on the bike!  We went to the market in the square today and bought some fresh produce and tulips and had a snack.  Now back home for some school work.
We'll keep you posted about our weekend adventures!
Love,
Robin and Ron
P.S. Oma and Opa, I'm so excited you got a computer and you are now able to follow our blog online rather than "print outs" via Aunt Karen!  Post a comment on the blog if you can figure out how to do so!

6 comments:

  1. I called Oma to tell her that there is a new update, and I would talk her through it (she and opa were eating when I called) I wouldn't plan on her leaving any notes on here as you have to have one of 5 accounts to do so, and she doesn't have any and is not likely to get any either. One step at a time. You also must realize that this is a really old computer with software that will barley update. I hope to convince them to get a new laptop. But as I said one step/day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi R and R!
    We (hope we) didn't take you for granted when you lived closer to us than you do now, but we sure do miss you. Good luck with the laundry detergent, the lack of a dryer, microwave, and freezer. Soon you won't even miss them. Can we put the appliances at Golden Meadow on kijiji?
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!
    I just wanted to say that I know lots of people that actually have freezers, microwaves and dryers! I myself am used to crunchy towels so I don't miss a dryer, but I can imagine missing things in a foreign country.
    Don't let it put you down!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you buy pizza's here which you can save in the fridge. As a matter of fact they are the pizza's I like the most. Doesn't you fridge contain a small 'freezer' section?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey R&R,

    Wow, that is so exciting! What are you both studying there? I was just saying to Steve the other day, we need to go on a double date with Robin & Ron :) Maybe when you get back we can plan something (when would that be?). That part about going up the hill on the bike with the wrong speed made me laugh girl. I have don't the same thing and cried about it thinking I "suck at this". We will figure those bikes out one day...lol.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog makes me laugh so much Robin! I am happy to hear you and Ron are having a good time :) We miss you in class! And with regards to the reading - I think we are all well on my way to becoming professional readers lol. xo

    ReplyDelete